February 08, 2006

Is it time yet ... trying to fight the guilt.

Is it time to wean? I have been struggling with this for some time now. In the last month I've started to give Joeye some homogenized milk with breastmilk in her bottles that she gets during the day. At first just a drop and now maybe about 1/4 of her bottle is homogenized. She has taken to it very well. Sometimes at night I give her a bottle of just homogenized milk and then she sleeps through the night like a baby with a full tummy. I decided to use homogenized milk instead of the formula because I didn't want to have to switch her again to homogenized in a month or so, I thought it would be too much switching. She's now eating a full day of solids, cereal and fruit or yogurt for breakfast, either pasta or meat and veggies with some sort of dessert for lunch and the same for supper. Sometimes before bed she gets a little more cereal if I think she's hungry and throughout the day she eats a little shredded cheese, sometimes some toast and always a Baby Mummum here and there. Also I have read a few breastfeeding websites that say as long as she's getting breastmilk with the vitamins she needs during the day it is okay to give her some homogenized milk. Can you hear my guilt? However I think it's almost time. I have been pumping at work five days a week for the last 8 months, and truly I want to stop ... but for some reason the guilt won't let me do it. I realisticly can't breastfeed her forever, well I guess I could but I don't want to. I knew the day would come when I would struggle with this. I would like to stop the pumping during the day. I will continue to feed her after work and in the middle of the night. How long do I continue to do that? I think I will continue to make sure she gets some breastmilk until she's 9 months ... which will be in about 3 weeks. After that who knows, but that was the goal I set when she was born. I wanted to nurse her until 9 months and then switch her to breastmilk. Is it really okay for me to stop feeding my baby her "booba". All my reasons for stopping seem selfish to me. I want to try and lose 15 pounds and as long as I'm nursing I'm not suppose to do that. Also I've grown very sensitive again, almost like the feeling is coming back. So what do I do?

I'm sorry for all the family reading this that was excited about an update and got a whole post on boobs ...

Comments:
Yes, it is time to stop the pump. Joeye is doing great with the homogenized and she is having enough food during the day to give her all the vitamins that she needs. Oh, when I made her bottles last night I put 1/4 breastmilk and 3/4 homogenized, and she didn't seem to mind that. She had that bottle finished in no time. Don't feel guilty.
 
Yes it sounds like it's time to wean..I think it's definitely harder on the mommies and the babies!
I had difficulties nursing with both the boys and my goal was 6 weeks I hate to admit it but we barely made it to that! As much as I liked the nursing I just wasn't producing enough so it was feeding, pumping and supplementing with formula...it sucked!
As long as Joeye's taking to the homo then go with it!
 
That was supposed to say harder on the mommies THAN the babies....sorry for the typo.
 
I believe I saw a tooth in that monkey picture. Oh yeah it's definately time to stop and guilt is not an option.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?